Have you ever seen such a beautiful breakfast? Let us introduce you to the açai bowl.
The colours, the textures, you feel healthy just looking at it. It’s not very often food looks so good that you actually want to swim in it rather than eat it – or both at the same time.
With its deep, indulgent, purple colour and chocolate-like flavour the açai berry is a delicious superfood sent from foodie heaven (or to be exact, the Amazon Rainforest). Packed with antioxidants, fibre and an array of vitamins and minerals, this berry makes for the perfect wake-up remedy.
OK so enough of the drooling, let’s get down to creating this masterpiece.
- 2 frozen açai berry packs (check out our açai berry smoothie recipes for places you can buy actual frozen açai berries or açai berry puree that you can throw in the freezer)
- 2/3 cup almond, coconut or soy milk (whichever you prefer)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 chopped banana
- 2 tablespoons fresh blueberries
- 4 chopped strawberries
- 4 tablespoons raspberries
- 4 tablespoons blackberries
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon goji berries
- 1 tablespoon chopped nuts (peanuts, almonds, pistachios or a mix of all of them)
- 2 tablespoons hemp or chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons granola
The açai berry already has quite a rich chocolate-y flavour but for that extra hit of sweetness, blend in a tablespoon of cacao powder or even add a dollop of your favourite chocolate protein powder.
For the base, pop all ingredients in a blender but go steady when adding the milk. Pour the liquid in gradually and blast each time to check the texture of your base. We’re aiming for a creamy consistency, like yoghurt or slightly melted ice cream. Taste test before serving and if your blend needs sweetening up a little, add in a spoonful of agave or honey.
Now for the fun part: making your bowl look pretty. Decorate your açai blend with whatever fruit, nuts, seeds or cereal you have in the house.
Grab a spoon and dive in.