Is the smell of warm hot cross buns the cause of your diet downfall?
Avoid the guilt this Easter and make your own healthy hot cross buns! They’re so delicious you won’t even notice the difference!
- 3 cups whole spelt flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup dried blueberries
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs (one to glaze)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50g dark chocolate, coursely chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 – 1 cup milk
- 50g extra dark chocolate (to make crosses)
HOW TO MAKE
- Add the flour, oats, cinnamon, salt and dried blueberries to a bowl. Sift in the baking powder. Stir well to combine.
- Add one egg, honey, vanilla extract, chopped dark chocolate and coconut oil to the dry ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- Add 1/2 cup of milk and mix to combine. If mixture does not form a sticky dough, keep adding milk until it does.
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰C. Using floured hands, roll handfuls of mixture into balls and place on a lined baking tray.
- Whisk the second egg well and, using a pastry brush, coat the top of each bun.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Melt the extra dark chocolate and pour into a piping bag*. Pipe a chocolate cross on the top of each bun.
*Handy hint: if you don’t have a piping bag, you can use a sandwich or ziplock bag! Make a tiny diagonal cut across one of the corners of your bag. Hold the corner clasped in your hand as you fill the bag and then push the chocolate towards and through it.
Recipe courtesy of Lorna Jane.