“Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!”
We’ve all heard the old cliché.
But as you spend 20 minutes each morning trying to force a piece of cold toast into your child’s hand on the way out the door – while forgetting to eat yourself – you may be questioning just how important breakfast really is.
Well, as it turns out, breakfast plays a significant role in fuelling your body for the day ahead.
It’s linked to many long-term health benefits, including weight control, improved memory and concentration, as well as reducing the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes.
So what is the best way for your family to reap all these benefits?
We know what you’re thinking… “it’s so… bland!” But hear us out!
Studies have found that a small bowl of porridge a day could be the key to a long and healthy life. Packed with fibre and slow-releasing carbohydrates that will leave you feeling full for hours, it’s the perfect food to start your day with!
Plus, it’s ideal for those cold winter mornings that are just around the corner.
To help your family get the most out of breakfast, check out our delicious porridge recipe below.
We promise you’ll be wanting more with every spoonful!
CINNAMON PORRIDGE WITH FRESH FRUIT
- 60g jumbo porridge oats
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra to sprinkle
- 300ml milk
- Fresh fruit of your choice (we’ve used an apple, but you can also go with bananas, berries, pears… whatever you like!)
- Honey, to taste
HOW TO MAKE
- Place the oats, cinnamon and milk in a non-stick saucepan and cook over a low-medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Stir constantly until the mixture becomes rich and creamy.
- Pour the oat mixture into two bowls.
- To boost the nutritional value why not add apples, pears, bananas or scatter a handful of berries? To serve, sprinkle with cinnamon, or add honey, to taste.
*Note: if you want an extra crunch, try sprinkling some chopped almonds over the top.
Recipe courtesy of BBC Food.
If you’re after more delicious recipes make sure to check out our recipe collection that includes family favs like spaghetti and meatballs with hidden veggies (perfect for the littlest family members).