Kickboxing is a form of martial art which combines karate-style kicking with the punching of boxing. It’s a total-body workout that ticks all the boxes when it comes to getting fit and toning up.
- Kickboxing (and some bag work) can burn up to 750 calories an hour!
- It’s essentially interval training. Kickboxing involves bursts of explosive movements that help to strengthen your heart and scorch fat.
- Kickboxing is awesome for your abs. Without you even realising, the kicking and punching will target all core muscles, including your lower back.
- Punching involves heavy bags or speed bags, and pads (or hitting and being hit if you do true kickboxing with a sparring partner). The combined resistance from the bags and cardio involved in throwing a powerful punch mean your upper arms, shoulders and chest will reap the rewards.
- Kicking is great for your glutes and also uses the entire leg to maintain balance and a strong stance. There’s very few exercises out there that engage the whole of your lower body (and core) in one move.
- You will learn to kick butt – literally. Should you need it, kickboxing can be a form of self-defence and hopefully you will gain a sense of security from knowing that you are capable of protecting yourself.
- The stretching, core strength, coordination and balance involved in kickboxing will improve your flexibility, your posture and help to relieve muscle tension meaning you’ll have a greater range of motion.
- It’s not just a workout, you will be learning stuff too. Skills + body transformation + fitter you = more confidence.
- And lastly, another bonus to kickboxing… if your stress ball isn’t doing the trick, try a punch bag. There’s no better therapist.
Want to see what kickboxing looks like? Check this out…
Or want to try it for yourself? Find out when our next kickboxing course starts.