The University of Queensland (UQ) is an elite athlete friendly university which supports more than 300 student-athletes, including Olympians, Paralympians, Commonwealth Games and Professional athletes. Eligible athletes can apply for ‘elite athlete status’ which gives them access to academic considerations through Reasonable Adjustments – Students Procedures. Once approved for elite athlete status, student-athletes can access the UQ Sport Elite Athlete Program (EAP).
Utilising UQ’s expansive network, the program delivers a holistic approach to athlete support, providing access to a range of personal and professional development opportunities and resources. UQ’s Elite Athlete Program aims to equip you for success now and in the future.
The University of Queensland is endorsed by the Australian Institute of Sport as part of the Elite Athlete Education Network.
The Elite Athlete Education Network (EAEN) through partnered Universities, TAFE’s and other education providers helps to support elite athletes for the duration of their course study. This ensures their experience on campus is one that is rewarding, flexible and helps them acquire the right skills and qualifications needed to follow their passions and interests outside of sport.
How to Apply
Provide verification from your coach or a sporting body that confirms your representation at State or National level during the semester in which you are applying. The letter must be provided in PDF format, on an official letterhead from your coach or sporting body, dated (within the last 30 days), and signed with contact details of your letter’s addressee.
Once you’re enrolled as a student, you’ll be able to apply for Elite Athlete Status via the My requests page in my.UQ.
Applications MUST include supporting documentation verifying current state or national representation and upcoming competitions in the semester period for which you’re applying. Supporting documentation must be provided by a state or national sporting authority. Supporting documentation will be accepted from:
- A state or national Coach or Official/Manager
- Sporting institutions such as the Queensland Academy of Sport
- Professional associations such as the Australian Cricketers Association
Supporting documentation MUST be in PDF format on an official letterhead, dated (within 30 days) and signed. Applications that are submitted incorrectly will not be considered.
Review & Outcome
UQ and an appointed Elite Athlete Student Coordinator will review your application. Applications that are submitted incorrectly will not be considered.
You will be notified of the outcome via my.UQ My Request page. Approval for Elite Athlete Status is only valid for one (1) semester. You are required to re-apply for each Semester of study.
Benefits and Services
- Priority class sign on and timetable support
- Flexible study options (assessment & enrolment)
- Sitting examinations off campus under examination conditions
- Where appropriate, waiving of minimum attendance requirements at lectures, tutorials or practicals.
- Where continuous enrolment is compulsory, a negotiated arrangement to study part time
- An extension of the time specified to complete a program of study
- The provision for students to defer enrolment for up to two years for major sporting events (e.g. in an Olympic Games year)
- Completion of some studies as a cross-institutional student or exchange student at an approved interstate or overseas university
- Provision of summer semester alternatives or, where programs with multiple modes of delivery are available, to undertake studies via distance mode.
For more information about eligibility and considerations afforded to registered elite athletes, please see Reasonable Adjustments – Students Procedures.
In addition to support for your study, eligible UQ Elite Athlete’s receive the following through the UQ Sport Elite Athlete Program:
- Free UQ Sport Gold Membership
- Wellbeing program
- Discounted UQ Sport Strength and Conditioning services
- Discounted Sport Psychology, Physiotherapy, and Nutrition & Dietetics Consultations
- Designated elite athlete support staff
- Complimentary Elite Athlete Program Merchandise
- Competition subsidy funding for out-of-pocket competition expenses
- Personal development workshops and services