The University of Queensland (UQ) is an elite athlete friendly university which supports more than 200 student-athletes, including Olympians, Paralympians, Commonwealth Games and Professional athletes. Eligible athletes can apply for ‘elite athlete status’ which gives them access to academic considerations through the Programs and Assessment for Elite Athletes Policy. Once approved for elite athlete status, student-athletes can access the UQ Sport Elite Athlete Program (EAP).
Utilising UQ’s expansive network, the program delivers a holistic approach to athlete support, providing access to a range of personal and professional development opportunities and resources. UQ’s Elite Athlete Program aims to equip you for success now and in the future.
The University of Queensland is endorsed by the Australian Institute of Sport as part of the Elite Athlete Education Network.
The Elite Athlete Education Network (EAEN) through partnered Universities, TAFE’s and other education providers helps to support elite athletes for the duration of their course study. This ensures their experience on campus is one that is rewarding, flexible and helps them acquire the right skills and qualifications needed to follow their passions and interests outside of sport.
The University of Queensland offers exceptional opportunities for elite-level student athletes to perform at their peak, while gaining a world-class education. As an elite athlete friendly university, we can help you balance your dual careers in sport and study, through access to the following supports:
- Priority class sign on and timetable support
- Access to alternative arrangements with assessment
- Deferred examinations
- Sitting examinations off campus under examination conditions
- Where appropriate, waiving of minimum attendance requirements at lectures, tutorials or practicals.
- Where continuous enrolment is compulsory, a negotiated arrangement to study part time
- An extension of the time specified to complete a program of study
- The provision for students to defer enrolment for up to two years for major sporting events (e.g. in an Olympic Games year)
- Completion of some studies as a cross-institutional student or exchange student at an approved interstate or overseas university
- Provision of summer semester alternatives or, where programs with multiple modes of delivery are available, to undertake studies via distance mode.
For more information about eligibility and considerations afforded to registered elite athletes, please see the Programs and Assessment for Elite Athletes Policy.
Services & Benefits
In addition to support for your study, eligible UQ Elite Athlete’s receive the following through the UQ Sport Elite Athlete Program:
- Free UQ Sport Gold Membership
- Discounted UQ Sport Strength and Conditioning services
- Designated elite athlete support staff
- Competition subsidy funding for out-of-pocket competition expenses
- Personal development workshops and services.
- Complimentary Elite Athlete Program Merchandise
To be eligible for Elite Athlete Status, students must be representing Australia or a State or Territory of Australia in a supported and recognised sport. Students who fall outside of this definition may still apply however the decision will be at the Academic Registrars discretion. For more information about eligibility and considerations afforded to registered elite athletes, please see the Programs and Assessment for Elite Athletes Policy.
How to Apply
Once you’re enrolled as a student, you’ll be able to apply for Elite Athlete Status via the My requests page in my.UQ.
Applications MUST include supporting documentation verifying current state or national representation and upcoming competitions. Supporting documentation must be provided by a state or national sporting authority. Supporting documentation will be accepted from:
- A state or national Coach or Official/Manager
- Sporting institutions such as the Queensland Academy of Sport
- Professional associations such as the Australian Cricketers Association
Supporting documentation MUST be in PDF format on an official letterhead and signed. Applications that are submitted incorrectly will not be considered.
Approval for Elite Athlete Status is only valid for one (1) semester. Athletes are required to re-apply if consideration is needed in a subsequent semester of study.
Once approved you will also be able to access support through the UQ Elite Athlete Program (EAP).
Should you require support to manage your elite level sporting commitments with your study, please get in touch with our EAP team.
For more information about UQ’s EAP, take a look through our Elite Athlete Guide.