Sport is an integral part of student life at The University of Queensland (UQ).
The UQ Sport Competition Subsidy provides funding to assist talented student athletes at UQ with out-of-pocket competition costs to compete at eligible national and international sporting events.
Please read the UQ Sport Competition Subsidy Guidelines and eligibility criteria before you submit your application.
Please note, as part of The University of Queensland and UQ Sport’s response to COVID-19 (coronavirus), Competition Subsidy funding will continue to be considered for eligible sporting events endorsed by the relevant National Sporting body, on a case-by-case basis only.
Applicants are responsible for checking if any travel for the competition is to or from a declared hotspot (please be aware that this can change at short notice). Mandatory quarantine or self-isolation may be required and additional costs can apply. All costs associated with quarantining or self-isolation will be the responsibility of the applicant. Applicants must consider these risks before undertaking domestic travel.
UQ Sport Competition Subsidy Guidelines
What is the UQ Sporting Competition Subsidy?
The UQ Sport Competition Subsidy provides funding to assist talented student-athletes at The University of Queensland with out-of-pocket competition costs to compete at eligible national and international sporting events. This program is funded through Student Services and Amenities Fees (SSAF) and is administered by UQ Sport.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the UQ Sport Competition Subsidy applicants must be:
- Currently enrolled and studying at UQ as a domestic student; and
- Have confirmation of selection and competition at a recognised event in one of the three performance categories listed; and
- Do not have outstanding UQ Club or UQ Sport membership fees; and
- Have completed all application requirements; and
- Submit the application on their own behalf with payment details matching the UQ student-athlete applicant. Applications cannot be received by a third party e.g. a parent, club, team, event or organisation.
- Submit the application within 30 days post-event. Applications received outside of this timeframe will not be considered.
What is a recognised event?
A recognised event is a competitive sporting event that is:
- Endorsed by the relevant NSO; and
- The athlete is nominated or selected by the relevant SSO/NSO or UQ Sporting Club; and
- Determined by UQ Sport to be a legitimate national or international event.
What can be funded?
The UQ Sport Competition Subsidy assists with out-of-pocket competition costs directly associated with the eligible sporting event. These can include the following:
- Flights and ground transport to and from the eligible event
- Accommodation at the eligible event
- Competition registration fees
- Event specific uniforms
- Other eligible items as determined by UQ Sport at its absolute discretion
Out-of-pocket competition costs are costs directly associated with the nominated sporting event less other competition subsidies and event prize money the UQ student-athlete may have received for this event e.g. other sporting grants or subsidies.
The total subsidy will not exceed the performance category or annual limits.
Application for the UQ Sport Competition Subsidy does not guarantee subsidy funding.
In cases where the number of applications exceeds the UQ Sport Competition Subsidy budget, eligible UQ student-athletes may receive a lower percentage of their out-of-pocket competition costs and in extreme cases, some eligible UQ student-athletes may not receive any subsidy.
A subsidy will only be approved post-event.
What will not be funded?
The following items and costs are not eligible for the UQ Sport Competition Subsidy:
- Undefined sports levies
- Personal items
- Sporting equipment
- Spending money
- Social engagements
- Training expenses not incurred at the event
- Telephone and data expenses
- Loss of income
- Medical and health related expenses
- Insurances not included in the competition fees
- Spectator tickets or access to other events
- Expenses for family members, team mates, coaches or other parties attending the event
Other expenses as determined by UQ Sport at its absolute discretion
The UQ Sport Competition Subsidy can provide a percentage of eligible out-of-pocket expenses, at 3 performance categories, up to an annual limit of $1,500.
|Performance Category||Performance Level||Performance Category Limit||Annual Limit|
|1||UQ student-athlete as:|
a. Australian team member; and
1. Competing at an Olympic Games, Paralympic Games, World Championships, World Cup, World University Games or significant international competition.
|Up to $1,500||$1,500|
|2||UQ student-athlete as:|
a. Australian team member; or
b. Queensland team member; and
1. Competing at a regional international competition e.g. Oceania, Trans-Tasman, Asia-Pacific; or
2. Competing at an Australian national championships (not including University Games/UniNationals).
|Up to $1,000||$1,500|
|3||UQ student-athlete as a:|
a. UQ Club team member; and
1. Competing in a national or international club championship; or
2. Competing in a national or international intervarsity competition. (not including University Games/UniNationals).
|Up to $500||$1,500|
If there is no UQ Club for your sport or your sport requires you to compete as an individual athlete and you have qualified to compete at an Australian National Championships or International event, please enquire with the Elite Athlete Program Officer.
What are your obligations?
- Submit a signed and completed application using the application form within 30 days post-event.
- Submit written confirmation of selection from the relevant UQ Club, state or national sporting organisation that clearly states the event details, team and relevant competition costs and is signed by the authorised manager, head coach or selection committee member.
- Submit copies of supporting documentation of competition costs e.g. invoices and receipts showing the UQ student-athletes’ name.
Successful applicants will be required to sign and return a Subsidy Agreement prior to receiving funds.
- In cases where the number of applications exceeds the UQ Sport Competition Subsidy budget, eligible UQ student-athletes may receive a lower percentage of their out-of-pocket competition costs and in extreme cases, some eligible UQ student-athletes may not receive any subsidy.
- Application for the UQ Sport Competition Subsidy does not guarantee subsidy funding.
- UQ Sport will assess applications based on UQ student athlete eligibility, event eligibility, the performance categories and competition costs. All assessment decisions are final and no appeal regarding a decision will be entered into.
- UQ Sport may contact the relevant sporting organisation and nominated representative to validate the information relating to the application.
- Applicants will receive notification via email from the Elite Athlete Program Officer and receive the Competition Subsidy Agreement Form and payment form whichmust be completed and returned with the competition report and photo before a subsidy payment is made.
- Approved subsidy payments can only be made electronically to the UQ student-athlete’s nominated bank account post-event.
- Applicants should allow 20 business days for assessment, notification and payment after submitting a completed application.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- UQ Sport collects the information in the UQ Sport Competition Subsidy application form to assess and process subsidy funding. Information will also be used to help monitor and evaluate UQ Sport programs and resources. UQ Sport may also use the information to promote the UQ Sport Competition Subsidy, Elite Athlete Program or other UQ Sport activity.
What are the application and subsidy periods?
The following table provides the indicative dates for 2022:
|Subsidy Period||Competition Period||Application Period|
|Semester 1 - 2022||1 Jan 2022 to 30 June 2022||1 Jan 2022 to 30 June 2022|
|Semester 2 - 2022||1 July 2022 to 31 Dec 2022||1 July 2022 to 31 Dec 2022|
For assistance, please contact us on the details at the top of this page.