The defeat was UQ’s second of the weekend, after an earlier loss to Griffith (14-7) in the pool stages of the tournament.
Team UQ defeated University of Adelaide (26-21), Bond University (24-12) and University of New England (28-24) on day one of the competition.
UQ progressed to the gold medal match against Griffith University after defeating University of Canberra (15-0) in the semi-finals.
Shanae Ciesiolka led the scoring over the two-day event crossing for a total of six tries.
Team UQ’s Kaitlin Shave said that the team is looking to improve on this round’s performance in preparation for Adelaide.
“Second is a great result but obviously we want to be first,” Shave said.
“We didn’t play to the standard we played the last round of Aon so we have to work harder, train harder and play more as a team going forward.
“The final game against Griffith was a very tough and rough match. We both wanted it really badly and in the end Griffith played better as a team.”
Round 3 of the series will be held in Adelaide on 12 to 13 October.
2019 Aon Uni 7s Series- Round 2 Results
UQ dft. University of Adelaide (26-21)
UQ dft. Bond University (24-12)
Griffith University dft. UQ (14-7)
UQ dft. University of New England (28-24)
UQ dft. University of Canberra (15-0)
Gold Medal Match:
Griffith University dft. UQ (21-7)
1) The University of Queensland (38 points)
2) Griffith University (34 points)
3) The University of Sydney (30 points)
4) University of Technology Sydney (26 points)
5) The University of Adelaide (24 points)
6) University of Canberra (24 points)
7) Bond University (14 points)
8) The University of Melbourne (14 points)
9) The University of Western Australia (8 points)
10) University of New England (8 points)
2019 Aon Uni 7s Series- Fixtures
Round 3 – The University of Adelaide, Adelaide (12-13 October)
Round 4 – University of Canberra, Canberra (26-27 October)